Governor Malloy: Gov. Malloy: CT Insurance Department Ready to Help Residents with Hurricane Damage

{Governor Malloy Press Release Masthead}
August 28, 2011
(HARTFORD, CT) – This afternoon, Governor Dannel P. Malloy toured hurricane-damaged areas in East Haven and West Haven, and urged Connecticut residents who experienced damage to their homes related to Hurricane Irene to document the damage carefully and call the state Insurance Department if they have any questions. 
“It was clear from the preliminary coverage of Hurricane Irene that Connecticut residents sustained a great deal of damage to their property,” said Governor Malloy. “After touring some of the hardest-hit areas in East Haven and West Haven personally, it’s clear we have our work cut out for ourselves as we begin to fully grasp the damages associated with this storm.”
“We worked with the insurance companies ahead of the storm to license an additional 1,900 adjusters on top of those we already have licensed in Connecticut so homeowners who experienced damage due to Hurricane Irene could get an insurance assessment as quickly as possible,” said Department of Insurance Commissioner Thomas Leonardi. “My department staff understand the situation we’re in due to this storm, and they’re ready to help homeowners first thing Monday morning.”
Governor Malloy and Commissioner Leonardi released the following tips for homeowners who experienced Hurricane Irene-related damage: 
  • Document the damage with photos or videos.
  • Make a list of the damaged items and compile any receipts you have for them
  • Make temporary repairs for your safety and the safety of your property
  • Typical homeowners’ policies do not cover damage from floods caused by overflowing rivers, streams, tidal waters and storm surges. Flood insurance would be required in that case. Important to note: There is a 30-day waiting period from the time you buy flood insurance until the time it goes into effect.
  • Most homeowners’ policies will cover tree removal ONLY if it fell and damaged property such as a building or vehicle. If it falls in a yard and doesn’t hit anything, removal costs are generally not covered by insurance. Always consult your agent, company or read your policy to be sure.
  • Your insurance policy or insurance card has a toll-free claims number. If you cannot find your policy, the Insurance Department has a list of insurers on its Web site that includes both the company Web sites and toll-free numbers. This information is also available on the state’s Irene Web page and through 2-1-1
  • The Insurance Department will be staffed tomorrow (Monday) to help policyholders with questions and concerns.
Connecticut Insurance Department Resources
Irene Resource Page with company listings, policy FAQs, claim-filing tips
Consumer Helplines: 860-297-3900 or 800-203-3447
For Immediate Release: August 28, 2011